Events in 2021
- Jan. 1: Prof. Barba begins her three-year term as Editor-in-Chief of Computing in Science and Engineering, a technical magazine of the IEEE Computer Society.
- Feb. 16: Natalia Clementi's PhD thesis defense. Passed with flying colors!
- May 3: MolSSI Spring Science and Software Advisory Board meeting, SSAB (virtual)—L Barba, member of the SSAB
- May 19: IEEE International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium, IPDPS 2021 (virtual)—L Barba, keynote speaker // video
- July 7: Launch of the Chilean Women in AI Association (virtual), hosted by the US Embassy in Santiago and ONR Global—L Barba, invited panelist // video
- Sep. 30: Nature webcast How to make your research reproducible?, moderated by Jeffrey Perkel // video of L. Barba's prepared remarks
- Nov. 1–2: Meeting of the Scientific Software Advisory Board, Molecular Sciences Software Institute (MolSSI), Arlington, VA — L. Barba, member of the board
Events in 2022
- Jan. 3–6: International Advisory Board meeting, The Clover Engineering 2030, Santiago and Puerto Natales, Chile — L. Barba, member of the board
- Feb. 8: Materials, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering (MMAE) Department Seminar, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, IL, "Algorithms versus Hardware and Productivity versus Performance: A Journey in Computational Biophysics" — L, Barba, speaker
- Mar. 8: Prof. Lorena Barba is awarded the degree of Doctor Honoris Causa by Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María, Chile. She becomes only the eighth person to receive this highest honorific in the university's 90-year history // USM news // GW SEAS news // video vignette
- Mar. 22: Panel of experts for The Chronicle of Higher Education, "Putting Power Computing to Interdisciplinary Use."
- Apr. 4: Tingyu Wang's PhD thesis defense, "A high-performance and highly reusable fast multipole method library and its application to solvation energy calculations at virus-scale" / presentation slides
- May 31: ISC 2022, High-Performance Computing Conference, Hamburg, Germany — L Barba, keynote speaker: "10 years from the Reproducibility PI Manifesto, it’s time to Transform to Open Science"
- June 9: Jupyter Community in Musculoskeletal Imaging Research, Jupyter Community meeting, June 9–11, Maastricht, The Netherlands—L Barba, invited speaker
- Sep. 8: Uppsala University Junior Faculty, Open Science and Your Career Hybrid Seminar—L Barba, invited speaker, "Leadership in Open Science: from publishing reproducible research to opening up educational resources." // slides
- Sep. 13: Teaching Machine Learning Workshop at ECML 2022 satellite event (online)—L Barba, invited speaker, “Teaching in the Open: advancing education by adopting open source and open science practices” // slides
- Sep. 15: Pi-Yueh Chuang's PhD thesis defense, "Feasibility Study of Physics-Informed Neural Network Modeling in Computational Fluid Dynamics"
- Oct. 10–12: Santa Fe Institute Workshop on Scientific Machine Learning for Complex Systems: Beyond Forward Simulation to Inference and Optimization, Santa Fe, New Mexico—L Barba, invited participant
- Oct. 27–29: 2022 SACNAS National Diversity in STEM Conference, San Juan, Puerto Rico—L Barba, presenter
- Oct. 31–Nov. 1: MolSSI Science and Software Advisory Committee meeting—L Barba, member of the advisory committee
- Nov. 3–4: Notebooks Now! workshop at the American Geophysical Union headquarters, Washington, DC—L Barba, member of the Steering Committee & presented "Jupyter for Education"
- Nov. 13–17: SC22, The International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage, and Analysis; Dallas, TX—L Barba, presenter at Birds-of-a-Feather "Scientific Code Coupling on Supercomputers"
- Nov. 30: Olivier Mesnard's PhD thesis defense, "New studies and replication studies in aerodynamics of animal flyers with fully reproducible computational fluid dynamics"
Featured on Twitter
PhD Thesis Defense ✅
— Naty Clementi @firstname.lastname@example.org (@ncclementi) February 16, 2021
My keynote at the IEEE @ComputerSociety International Distributed and Parallel Processing Symposium #IPDPS #reproducibility #HPChttps://t.co/HRaiSujK6z
— Lorena Barba @email@example.com (@LorenaABarba) May 20, 2021
I will be one of four invited panelists in this launch event for the Chilean Association of Women in AI.
Chile has published its draft AI Strategy, which highlights the gender gap in the field, bias in data and models, and the goal of redressing this nationally. https://t.co/6zPJe4SBDJ
— Lorena Barba @firstname.lastname@example.org (@LorenaABarba) July 6, 2021
My prepared remarks for the Nature Webcast "How to make your research reproducible?" streamed Thu. 30 Sep. 2021, 10 AM EDT, with @ctitusbrown and April Clyburne-Sherin#reproducibilityhttps://t.co/kWxFPRFCj2
— Lorena Barba @email@example.com (@LorenaABarba) October 3, 2021
Big personal news, tweeps—I got a call from the Rector (Provost) of @usantamaria, my undergraduate alma mater, to personally congratulate me because the university decided to award me its greatest honor: the title of Doctor Honoris Causa pic.twitter.com/xqPVZrqzEB
— Lorena Barba @firstname.lastname@example.org (@LorenaABarba) February 10, 2022