Past events in 2008
- Feb. 6–7: Invited course at the Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (Advanced Studies Institute of Madrid), Spain. Title: “Meshfree methods and vortex methods”, L Barba.
- May 19–22: ParCFD’08, 20th International Conference on Parallel CFD, in Lyon, France — Felipe Cruz, speaker; L Barba, co-author and participant.
- May 29: Invited seminar, Applied Mathematics Department, University of Sussex, UK — L Barba.
- June 30–July 4: WCCM and ECCOMAS’08, 8th World Congress on Computational Mechanics, and 5th European Congress on Computational Methods in Applied Sciences and Engineering, in Venice, Italy — Felipe Cruz, speaker; L Barba, co-author and participant.
- Aug. 15: Seminar, Mechanical Engineering Department, Belytschko-Liu group, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois — L Barba.
- Aug. 18: Invited seminar, Mechanical Engineering Department, Purdue University — L Barba.
- Aug. 19: Invited seminar, Applied Mathematics Department, Illinois Institute of Technology — L Barba.
- Sept. 15: L Barba joins the Mechanical Engineering faculty at BU.
- Sept. 29–Oct. 3: 4th SCAT Workshop in Latin America, “Developing a vision for advanced computational scientific research in the Region”, organized by L Barba and Rodrigo Soto (University of Chile).
Past events in 2009
- May 18–22: ParCFD’09, 21st International Conference on Parallel CFD, in Moffet Field, California. Invited Session “Parallel and Meshfree: New Frontiers of CFD”, organized by L Barba and David Emerson (Daresbury Labs, UK) — L Barba, Felipe Cruz, Rio Yokota, speakers.
- June 22–25: AIAA 19th Computational Fluid Dynamics Conference, in San Antonio, Texas. “Panel-free boundary conditions for viscous vortex methods” — Christopher Cooper, presenter, with L Barba, co-author.
- July 16–19: USNCCM, 10th National Congress on Computational Mechanics, in Columbus, Ohio. Minisymposium “Computational Mechanics on Multi-core and Graphics Processors”, organized by L Barba and Eric Darve (Stanford) — Felipe Cruz, Simon Layton and Rio Yokota, speakers.
- July 20–24: Final SCAT meeting & satellite school, “High performance computing trends for 2010 and beyond”, organized by L Barba and Luis Salinas (Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María, Chile).
- Oct. 14–15: Symposium CFD on future architectures: many cores, GPU, FPGAat the Center of Computer Applications in Aerospace Science and Engineering, DLR Braunschweig, Germany — Felipe Cruz, invited speaker.
- Oct. 19–21: NSF-NAIS Intelligent Software workshop, Edinburgh, Scotland — L Barba, invited speaker.
- Nov. 4: Colloquium at Harvard’s IIC: Initiative in Innovative Computing, L Barba.
- Nov. 12–13: Workshop GPU@BU for the launch of the project “ExperimentalGPU cluster for fundamental physics” (NSF-OCI 0946441), Boston University — L Barba, R Brower, C Rebbi, organizers.
- Nov. 14–20: Supercomputing 2009, Portland, Oregon — Rio Yokota, co-author of the Gordon Bell prize-winning paper.
- Dec. 2–3: Machine evaluation workshop, Daresbury Laboratory, STFC Computational Science and Engineering Department, UK — Felipe Cruz, presenter.
Past events in 2010
- Jan. 26: GSIC international workshop on GPGPU applications at Tokyo Institute of Technology, Aoki Laboratory — L Barba and R Yokota, speakers.
- Jan. 28–29: “Accelerated Computing” conference in Tokyo, organized by Riken Advanced Science Institute and Nvidia Japan — L Barba, invited speaker.
- February: PhD student Felipe Cruz (University of Bristol) visits Barcelona Supercomputing Center, BSC, for one month under an HPC-Europa grant.
- Feb. 17: Invited seminar at Department of Mechanical Engineering, Worcester Polytechnic Institute: “Why gamers have caused a revolution in the supercomputing world”, L Barba.
- Mar. 14: Third workshop on general-purpose computation on GPUs, Pittsburgh, PA — L Barba, member of the Program Committee.
- April 2nd: Invited seminar at Brown University: "The need for speed: fast algorithms, fast hardware (is not always equal to fast code)", L Barba.
- April 9: Undergraduate intern Olivier Mesnard, from Paris Supméca (Institut Supérieur de Mecanique), arrives for a 5-month research visit.
- May 17–21: ParCFD’10, 22nd International Conference on Parallel Computational Fluid Dynamics, Kaohsiung, Taiwan — F Cruz, R Yokota, presenters; L Barba member of the International Advisory Committee.
- June 29–July 1st: International workshop on Frontier of GPU Computing, held in conjunction with CIT 2010, Bradford, UK — L Barba, member of the Program Committee.
- July 12–16: SIAM Annual Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA. Invited presentation at the mini-symposium MS11 “Radial Basis Function methods for discontinuous problems”, organized by Jae-Hun Jung (State University of New York at Buffalo): “RBF interpolation using Gaussians with domain decomposition on GPUs” — R Yokota, L Barba.
- July 19–23: WCCM10, World Congress on Computational Mechanics, Sydney, Australia. Minisymposium “Computational mechanics on GPUs and modern many-core processors”, organized by: Takayuki Aoki (Tokyo Institute of Technology), L Barba, and Eric Darve (Stanford University) // Announcement PDF
- July 27–29: GPU Solutions to multi-scale problems in science and engineering, Harbin, Manchuria, China — L Barba, member of the Program Committee.
- Aug. 1–5: 24th Symposium of the Protein Society, San Diego, CA; poster presentation “Rigorous approximation of continuum electrostatics: the impact of fast algorithms and GPU computing” — J Bardhan, R Yokota, M Knepley, L Barba.
- Aug. 2–6: VSCSE summer school Proven Algorithmic Techniques for Many-core Processors; L Barba, keynote lecture “Multiplying speedups: fast algorithms on GPUs. A case study on biomolecular electrostatics” (Aug. 5).
- Aug. 22–26: American Chemical Society, ACS, Fall Meeting & Exposition, Boston Convention Center. Session: Chemical Computations on GPGPUs; oral presentation, “(Really) Fast macromolecular electrostatics: Fast algorithms, open-source software, and GPU computing” (J Bardhan, R Yokota, M Knepley, L Barba), presented by Jay Bardhan (Rush University Medical Center).
- Sep. 14: Applied Mathematics Colloquium at the Applied Physics & Applied Mathematics department, Columbia University: “Game-changing triad: fast algorithms, many-core hardware, open software–A case study with biomolecular electrostatics”, L Barba // Seminar poster PDF
- Sept. 20–23: GPU Technology Conference, San Jose Convention Center, San Jose, CA. L Barba, invited speaker: “The triad of extreme computing—fast algorithms, open software and heterogeneous systems” // Abstract PDF // Streaming video of the talk